Thursday, November 3, 2011

Update... finally!

The mastitis has cleared up, the baptism is over, and I've basically had a week at home - so good. Thanks to a number of things (including an email from my dear friend Andrea), I realised (after one of my Mummy's Magnificent Meltdowns on Tuesday night), that I have been pushing myself and my baby too hard in my efforts to be Super-Mum... and that I had to take a step back and re-evaluate everything. So this week, the floors have stayed in their needing-to-be-vacuumed state... we've eaten more meals from the freezer... and basically all I've managed to accomplish each day has been the washing and dishes. But, I have felt more rested and I have a happier baby for it... I have a more peaceful (though dirty) home... and my husband has come home from work to a happy wife... and that's what counts. Darling Donna always reminds me that some people actually have a DIRT floor in their home... SOME dirt on mine isn't the end of the world. :)

Today I had planned to go up to Newcastle with one of the mums from church to be a support to another of the mums, at the funeral of her dad... but with my tiredness and Anthea's fussiness, I had to opt out. I really wanted to be there for Jill to show my love, but my prayers will have to suffice, and I'll catch up with her next week or something... maybe a cooked meal will show my love more...

And so begins my life as Not-Super-Mum... and my life learning to say 'no' more often. Problem is, in order to get better at it, I have to practise...

"Not-Super-Mum"... sounds like a good alias... :)

Anthea is asleep at the moment. :) She sleeps well at night (7-8 hours), but I'm struggling with her sleep routine during the day... in that she doesn't actually have a routine for sleep during the day! She feeds 2.5 - 3 hourly, then some awake time... but sometimes she stays awake for the whole time til her next feed, and I'm not sure that she's supposed to!!! Anyhow... trial and error.... :)

She's growing up so much. The nine and a half weeks since her birth have passed so quickly!

In mid-October, we did a Friday-to-Tuesday trip down to Melbourne for Alastair to do the "Around the Bay" 100km bike ride, stopping overnight each way with Alastair's Nan in Benalla. I think I might finish this post in pictures...

Daddy with his baby, at his favourite landmark:



Anthea having morning cuddles with her Great Nan:



Outside Nan's unit before we left:



Having a picnic:





Cuddles with Aunty Donna:



All snuggly and cute:



Last Sunday was Annie's baptism day - 30th October 2011:



















And that will have to do for now... I have a few other photos I wanted to put up, but they're attached to various emails, and I need to find them, save them, etc, before I can put them up...

2 comments:

  1. Oh I can so totally relate to you in this post Carla! It certainly does take practice to learn to not try and always be super-mum and also realise that your baby needs a happy, sane mum, not necessarily a super mum! Good on your for coming to the realisation though - that's definitely the first step, and your'e making changes already so go you.

    The photos are so beautiful! Anthea sounds like such a well-behaved little lass. Apparently it's quite normal for them to start being awake more at this age - I'm finding the same with Isaac during the day. And I'm also told the more they feed during the day, the better they'll sleep at night. Not sure if it's always the case, but yeah. I definitely agree with the trial and error thing - keeps on your toes doesn't it! Everything seems to change constantly and you've gotta keep thinking of new things.

    You're doing a great job fellow mummy, and be encouraged that I'm struggling with the same things! It's really tricky when it's so much of a part of your nature to have things neat & tidy & organised all the time. May God give us all grace and patience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to remind myself of that even at my age...thanks for sharing. It's always good to remember NOT to do it all.

    I've really enjoyed seeing all the beautiful photos. Hope we get to see you all soon.

    Have a great week.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete