Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Random thoughts

And so Lachlan arrived on Wednesday 28th... and thus far, his visit has been different from what I expected. We went and stayed the weekend of 30th/31st/1st at Mum and Dad's so that he could spend lots of time with Annie, but I think I had unrealistic expectations for the weekend... I thought we'd do more sitting around talking and chilling together. But he's madly practicing most of the time... when he sits down, he's got his laptop with him... and when he talks, it's as though he's using a megaphone - all the time. And he slams doors when Anthea's asleep... and answers the phone really loudly... and I found it all a bit hard to deal with. Times have changed, and I guess we've all changed too...

Besides that, we had a trip to ED for Alastair after the steak he ate on New Year's Day attacked him... far out. You'd think he could just chew his food. :P No, it's okay, I still love him. :) That happened mid-arvo, and we went to emergency just after 8pm, got home just before 3am - wow, it's a whole 'nother world there at that time of night!!! That was very confronting.... the swearing druggo, the girl who's threatened an overdose so the cops have taken her 9 month old baby from her, so she's screaming and kicking the place down, swearing at the security guards (called in for our protection, I think)... far out. So I was very tired the next day. I'd gone home at about 9pm to feed and put Annie to bed (since we'd been told it'd be about a 2 hour wait before we could see a doctor), and Mum and Dad minded her for us, so that was very helpful, and at least she'd had a reasonable sleep.

I completely do not understand the poo thing with babies. We are still going at least 48-72 hours between poos at the moment, which is really weird. It's scary as you come up to the 48+ hour mark, and as every nappy change goes past without a poo, you wonder where she's putting it all and how massive it's going to be when it finally DOES come!!! As at this minute, we haven't had a poo since 11am Sunday......... eeeek..... it's scary going out with that hanging over you too - because often the poo that comes after 3 days warrants a bath to clean up - so if it happens while you're out... um... yeah.

Anthea just loves her showers with Daddy... I take her in to the bathroom all nudie, and she has a big grin on her face... then when she hears the water, she starts squealing and laughing, and the arms and legs start going - it's so cute!!! Meaghan's away, and when she heard that Annie had rolled over last week she was most upset, and said she'd better wait til she's home before she starts sitting up... hehe..... I'm sure she will, she's only just gone 4 months.

So I've just re-read all that, and it's a jumbled lot of random thoughts, isn't it! Oh well...

8 comments:

  1. Oh, expectations are so annoying sometimes! I'm sorry things aren't going how you'd hoped... I know the feeling... Specially when you've got such a short amount of time together.

    You poor thing! That sounds very exhausting!

    Haha... don't worry too much about the pooing! I know the cleanup isn't so nice, but she's probably just using all that delicious milk up. My very wise baby book says babies can poo 10 times a day or once in 10 days and either is perfectly fine! So don't fret :)

    Oh, and I have a blog now :) email me if you want to see the private posts :) xo Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your lovely comment Lauren! What's the name of your "very wise baby book"? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time together when you've been apart from loved ones for ages can be quite challenging because there are so many hopes and expectations for how it will all turn out, but in the meantime everyone's lives have changed in seemingly imperceptible ways so things are never quite as one imagines they will be. I can relate to this. I think it's what life is like as a grown up; there seems to always be a tiny bit of grief in amongst all the happy.

    I briefly saw some of Alastair's ER adventures on twitter, but didn't get to reply. UNFUN. I hope you caught up on your rest!

    Oh, and your description of Anthea squealing and kicking for joy is so cute. Abby does that when she's excited to see people, and it just melts me into a puddle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh expectations....they do frustrate us don't they? Amazing how many changes a small person brings to your lives and to relationships.
    Hope you were able to have some special bro/uncle time nonetheless.
    Also I second Lauren's comment about the poo thing. My little dude was pooing 8 times a day (burden) and is now back to one massive half a load of washing type every morning (at the same time which is nice & predictable. I have many friends who's bubs went up to 2 weeks without one so don't be concerned. They say it's very normal for b/fed bubbies. If you get concerned after a few days, do some bicycle motions with her legs - works a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bicycle idea Bec! The book is just called "Birth: Conceiving, Nurturing, and Giving Birth to Your Baby" I nearly bought some extra copies the other day when I saw them for $14.95!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm guessing Lachlan doesn't follow your blog!
    Poor Alastair! Emergency waiting rooms are not cool...
    So nice to read about Anthea, her behaviour sounds as cute as she looks :)
    A xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww :( I wish I was there to talk to you :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Alistair :( that must have been very hard for you both.

    Anthea sounds adorable and I'm looking forward to seeing how much she's grown when you are next in Canberra.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete